UEFA must act on agents` fees: Barcelona president
Dubai: Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has called on UEFA to change the rules on clubs having to pay agents` fees, saying the current system where players do not foot the bill for their own representation does not make sense.
"I have always asked myself why, when an agent is representing a player and he comes to negotiate his contract with the club, why is the club paying the agency fees?" Rosell said at a soccer conference in Dubai on Wednesday.
"When he is defending the other party and what he wants is to get the maximum number for the other party and, at the end, you have to pay the commission to the agent, it doesn`t make sense. This is something I would ask UEFA to change as a rule."
Transfers are big business and agents` cuts can run into millions of dollars.
The system has come in for much criticism, with FIFA, the world football governing body, announcing plans in September aimed at opening up the dealings to more transparency and capping the amount which agents can earn from transfers.
While maintaining that agents were the responsibility of FIFA, Gianni Infantino, the general secretary of European soccer`s governing body UEFA had some sympathy for Rosell`s position.
"I also agree on who has to pay the agent - the player who uses the agent," Infantino said.
"That seems quite obvious as well. If you go to the hairdressers, you don`t send your employer to pay the bill," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie