UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against Sir Alex Ferguson and Nani
London: The Manchester United manager failed to fulfill media obligations in the aftermath of the Champions League defeat to Real Madrid after the Portuguese was controversially sent off.
UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Sir Alex Ferguson and Nani following Manchester United`s defeat to Real Madrid on Tuesday evening.
The Portuguese winger was sent off during the Champions League last-16 match after striking Los Blancos right back Alvaro Arbeloa with a high boot.
That decision left Ferguson, 71, infuriated and the Scot sent assistant Mike Phelan in his place to fulfil the club`s media obligations after the game.
Phelan revealed that Ferguson was "too distraught" with referee Cuneyt`s Cakir`s performance to face the press in the immediate aftermath, despite his absence contravening UEFA rule.
The current Premier League leader could face further disciplinary action should defender Rio Ferdinand`s sarcastic applause of Cakir shortly after the final whistle be mentioned in the official`s report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown