UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against Sir Alex Ferguson and Nani
London: The Manchester United manager failed to fulfill media obligations in the aftermath of the Champions League defeat to Real Madrid after the Portuguese was controversially sent off.
UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Sir Alex Ferguson and Nani following Manchester United`s defeat to Real Madrid on Tuesday evening.
The Portuguese winger was sent off during the Champions League last-16 match after striking Los Blancos right back Alvaro Arbeloa with a high boot.
That decision left Ferguson, 71, infuriated and the Scot sent assistant Mike Phelan in his place to fulfil the club`s media obligations after the game.
Phelan revealed that Ferguson was "too distraught" with referee Cuneyt`s Cakir`s performance to face the press in the immediate aftermath, despite his absence contravening UEFA rule.
The current Premier League leader could face further disciplinary action should defender Rio Ferdinand`s sarcastic applause of Cakir shortly after the final whistle be mentioned in the official`s report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Major blow to Nawaz govt as US asks Pakistan to make ‘full payment’ for F-16 fighter jets
- Death toll from collapsed building in Kenya rises to 22
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today