UEFA president Platini slams `disgraceful` Serbia brawl
UEFA president Michel Platini has described the violent scenes which met the end of England Under-21`s meeting with their Serbian counterparts last Tuesday as "disgraceful".
Stuart Pearce`s side sealed their progress to the 2013 Under-21 European Championships with a 1-0 win, but saw Danny Rose red carded after the final whistle for kicking a bottle into the crowd - a move which he later argued was prompted by monkey chants from supporters.
A mass brawl between players and coaching staff also met the final whistle at the Mladost Stadium which, along with the allegations of racist chanting, has prompted a UEFA investigation.
Writing to sports minister Hugh Robertson MP, Platini expressed dismay and shock at the violence which unfolded at the end of the game in Krusevac.
FA general secretary Alex Horne revealed to reporters: "Michel Platini has written back to Hugh Robertson (and said) in unequivocal terms that they were disgraceful scenes.
"His immediate reaction was that they were disgraceful scenes that we shouldn`t be seeing on a football pitch."
With the findings of UEFA’s investigation not set to be released until the end of November, Horne insisted the FA have put forward a strong case to the European governing body.
"I wasn`t there. I was watching on television. It was appalling. What the players went through out there is abhorrent," he added.
"We have put our case forward, it was very uncomfortable for the people out there so we have written in strong terms to Uefa.
"We spoke to the match commissioner. He is supporting our view of events so it has all gone through UEFA channels. We are looking at a hearing on the 22nd or 23rd of November.”
"We will support that commission with any evidence or support they need. We have to look at it seriously."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia