UEFA prize belongs to everyone in Barcelona: Iniesta
Barcelona: Newly crowned UEFA Best Player in Europe Barcelona`s Andres Iniesta praised his team-mates and the club`s supporters after being honoured in front of Camp Nou before Sunday`s victory over Valencia.
The midfielder started from the bench as Barca held on for a narrow 1-0 victory against Los Che, Adriano scoring the only goal of the game in the first half with a superb long-range effort.
The win gives the Blaugrana a maximum haul of nine points from their first three games, leaving them two points clear at the top of the table.
Accompanied by his wife and daughter, talented schemer Iniesta made the symbolic gesture of handing his award to the Camp Nou crowd before kick-off, and speaking after the win, the humble star explained what the prize meant to him and everyone at the club.
"It is another moment to remember. The fans have seen me grow here for a long time and I have a very special affection for them," he told reporters at the final whistle.
"But it is now in the past. We have to continue in this fashion. The most important thing is to be there for this type of prize. It is a prize for all the players who have always been there."
Turning to Sunday`s triumph, Iniesta lamented the chances missed by his team and urged them to be more ruthless in front of goal.
"The key was to take the game. We could have won more comfortably, above all in the first half. We are pleased because we still have the advantage. When you have the chances you have to take them because if not, you will suffer," he pointed out.
Iniesta beat Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo and team-mate Lionel Messi to the title, the two tied in joint second behind the Fuentealbilla native.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city