UEFA prize belongs to everyone in Barcelona: Iniesta
Barcelona: Newly crowned UEFA Best Player in Europe Barcelona`s Andres Iniesta praised his team-mates and the club`s supporters after being honoured in front of Camp Nou before Sunday`s victory over Valencia.
The midfielder started from the bench as Barca held on for a narrow 1-0 victory against Los Che, Adriano scoring the only goal of the game in the first half with a superb long-range effort.
The win gives the Blaugrana a maximum haul of nine points from their first three games, leaving them two points clear at the top of the table.
Accompanied by his wife and daughter, talented schemer Iniesta made the symbolic gesture of handing his award to the Camp Nou crowd before kick-off, and speaking after the win, the humble star explained what the prize meant to him and everyone at the club.
"It is another moment to remember. The fans have seen me grow here for a long time and I have a very special affection for them," he told reporters at the final whistle.
"But it is now in the past. We have to continue in this fashion. The most important thing is to be there for this type of prize. It is a prize for all the players who have always been there."
Turning to Sunday`s triumph, Iniesta lamented the chances missed by his team and urged them to be more ruthless in front of goal.
"The key was to take the game. We could have won more comfortably, above all in the first half. We are pleased because we still have the advantage. When you have the chances you have to take them because if not, you will suffer," he pointed out.
Iniesta beat Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo and team-mate Lionel Messi to the title, the two tied in joint second behind the Fuentealbilla native.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America