United SC beat East Bengal 1-0 in I-League
Kolkata: United SC halted East Bengal unbeaten run in the I-League with Ranty Martin`s second-half header earning the side an upset 1-0 win in a XIIth round I-League fixture at the Yuba Bharati Krirangan here today.
Returning to action in the I-League a week after their violence-marred derby, the last year`s runners-up looked out of sorts as the Nigerian forward of the rival team scored from an angular header in the 75th minute to hand the side full points.
United climbed to fifth place with 17 points from 11 matches, while East Bengal (21) remained on third with the result of their derby clash against Mohun Bagan yet to be announced.
It was an unlike display by the East Bengal forward line with Ishfaq Ahmed putting up a pathetic display while Edeh Chidi up front did not get enough support from Manandeep Singh.
Having missed a few chances, Ishfaq was substituted by Lalrindika Ralte but the damage had been done by then with United SC leading by Ranty`s delightful header.
East Bengal defender Uga Okpara misread a Lalkamal Bhowmick corner as Ranty finished it with an angular header beyond Gurpreet Singh`s reach.
In sharp contrast to East Bengal, United SC showed great ball control with Carlos Hernandez supplying from behind.
East Bengal had an early chance to go one up when Chidi was brilliantly set up by Mehtab Hossain to be in a one on one with the rival goalkeeper Subrata Paul but his shot went off-target.
United had their first chance midway into the first-half when Hernandez plucked the ball from the air showing great control to set it up for Ranty but the Nigerian forward`s booming shot from far was thwarted by Gurpreet.
There were more opportunities after the break and Ishfaq committed a harakiri of sorts when he was darting in the box and almost had a shot, but a great clearance from rival captain Deepak Mondal saw their scoreline remain intact.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says