United Sikkim FC qualify for I-League
Gangtok: United Sikkim Football Club (USFC) qualified for next edition`s I-League after they played out a 1-1 draw against Kolkata`s Mohammedan Sporting here today.
The result enabled USFC to finish on 22 points from 12 outings and top the group standings of the final phase of the 2nd division league, which was played in two phases ? in Siliguri and Gangtok.
ONGC had earlier qualified yesterday.
USFC surged in the lead in the 42nd minute when Daniel Bidami converted from the spot.
Changing over, Mohammedan pulled it back as striker Alfred Jaryan made it 1-1 in the 59th minute. Spurred, Mohammedan went all out in the attack. But much to the jubilation of the crowd, USFC held fort.
Mohammedan Sporting finished on 21 points from 12 outings.
Former India Captain Bhaichung Bhutia, who came on as a substitute in the second half, lauded his team for the performance.
"It was a challenge for us and the boys responded well," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016 to be declared today on May 3 at 12 noon
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12 on May ) Result 2016 to be declared today 3 at 12 noon
- VVIP chopper cam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi reaches CBI office for questioning
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments
- 162 children die in four months in Pakistan's Tharparkar district