Urawa win despite fan racism scandal
Urawa Red Diamonds beat J-League champions Sanfrecce Hiroshima 2-0 on Saturday, appearing unscathed on the pitch despite fans being embroiled in a racism scandal.
The J-League on Thursday ruled that Urawa must play it`s next home game -- against Shimizu S-Pulse on March 23 -- in an empty stadium, unprecedented punishment after fans hoisted a "Japanese only" banner at a league game last week.
Urawa officials reacted by indefinitely banning all the club`s supporters from displaying banners at home and away games with immediate effect.
But goals from Shinzo Koroki and Genki Haraguchi brightened the team`s mood on Saturday, as Urawa condemned two-time champions Sanfrecce to their first defeat of the season.
"A lot of things have happened this week, but all we could do was try to get on with our football," said Urawa`s Serbian manager, Mihailo Petrovic.
Sanfrecce`s defeat leaves Yokohama F Marinos and Kashima Antlers as the only teams with perfect records three games into the season.
Marinos beat promoted Tokushima Vortis 3-0 and Antlers ended Sagan Tosu`s unbeaten start with a 3-0 win. Both Antlers and last season`s runners-up Marinos have yet to concede a goal.
"The team is functioning very well at the moment and the players are working well together," said Marinos manager Yasuhiro Higuchi.
Uruguay striker Diego Forlan was left waiting for his first J-League goal despite playing in Cerezo Osaka`s 4-1 win over S-Pulse, while late strikes from Kosuke Kikuchi and Cho Young-Cheol gave Omiya Ardija a remarkable 4-3 turnaround over Kawasaki Frontale.
Australia striker Josh Kennedy was on target as Nagoya Grampus beat Kashiwa Reysol 1-0, and Vissel Kobe edged FC Tokyo 2-1.
In the day`s other games, Ventforet Kofu drew 1-1 with Albirex Niigata, and Vegalta Sendai and Gamba Osaka played out a 0-0 stalemate
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok