Uruguay beat Venezuela to restore football World Cup hopes
Puerto Ordaz: Uruguay have restored their 2014 World Cup qualification hopes after a first-half strike from Edinson Cavani gave them a 1-0 away victory over Venezuela.
Cavani ran onto Walter Gargano`s weighted pass and beat two defenders before unleashing an unstoppable left-footer into the bottom corner at the Estadio Cachamay here Tuesday.
Venezuela were reduced to 10 men with five minutes remaining when Tomas Rincon received his second yellow card for a rough challenge on Cristian Rodriguez.
The result lifts Oscar Tabarez`s side to fifth in the South America zone standings with 16 points from 12 matches.
The top four teams earn direct qualification for the World Cup in Brazil while fifth will play off for a spot against the fifth best side from Asia.
In other matches Tuesday Chile defeated Bolivia 3-1, Colombia beat Peru 2-0 while Ecuador drew 1-1 with Argentina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi