Uruguay beat Venezuela to restore football World Cup hopes
Puerto Ordaz: Uruguay have restored their 2014 World Cup qualification hopes after a first-half strike from Edinson Cavani gave them a 1-0 away victory over Venezuela.
Cavani ran onto Walter Gargano`s weighted pass and beat two defenders before unleashing an unstoppable left-footer into the bottom corner at the Estadio Cachamay here Tuesday.
Venezuela were reduced to 10 men with five minutes remaining when Tomas Rincon received his second yellow card for a rough challenge on Cristian Rodriguez.
The result lifts Oscar Tabarez`s side to fifth in the South America zone standings with 16 points from 12 matches.
The top four teams earn direct qualification for the World Cup in Brazil while fifth will play off for a spot against the fifth best side from Asia.
In other matches Tuesday Chile defeated Bolivia 3-1, Colombia beat Peru 2-0 while Ecuador drew 1-1 with Argentina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened