Uruguay beat Venezuela to restore football World Cup hopes
Puerto Ordaz: Uruguay have restored their 2014 World Cup qualification hopes after a first-half strike from Edinson Cavani gave them a 1-0 away victory over Venezuela.
Cavani ran onto Walter Gargano`s weighted pass and beat two defenders before unleashing an unstoppable left-footer into the bottom corner at the Estadio Cachamay here Tuesday.
Venezuela were reduced to 10 men with five minutes remaining when Tomas Rincon received his second yellow card for a rough challenge on Cristian Rodriguez.
The result lifts Oscar Tabarez`s side to fifth in the South America zone standings with 16 points from 12 matches.
The top four teams earn direct qualification for the World Cup in Brazil while fifth will play off for a spot against the fifth best side from Asia.
In other matches Tuesday Chile defeated Bolivia 3-1, Colombia beat Peru 2-0 while Ecuador drew 1-1 with Argentina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda