Uruguay begins 10-day football ban
Montevideo: Uruguayan authorities enforced a 10-day nationwide football ban in a bid to stamp out violence on and off the field.
The measure began Friday after a meeting between Uruguay`s Football Association (AUF) president Sebastian Bauza and the country`s interim interior affairs minister Jorge Vazquez.
It followed the arrest and imprisonment of Nacional goalkeeper Jorge Bava for allegedly punching a police officer during a match against Penarol in Montevideo on Wednesday.
Bava was released Thursday but faces possible assault charges and is not allowed to leave the country without permission.
A fan was also hospitalised with a gunshot wound suffered during a fight between rival supporters before the match.
"We have agreed with the interior minister that we need to take decisions and show clear signs that there are limits and those limits need to be respected," Bauza said.
"The events that occurred outside and inside the stadium should not be repeated."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata