Uruguay midfielder Eguren joins Palmeiras
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian football club Palmeiras have signed Uruguay international midfielder Sebastian Eguren.
The 32-year-old joined the Sao Paulo-based outfit after rescinding his contract with Paraguay`s Libertad Wednesday, according to a statement on Palmeiras` official web site.
"I joined Palmeiras for what the club is," Eguren was quoted as saying by Xinhua. "It`s a big club that is renowned internationally. I am excited by the new challenge and want to win trophies here."
Palmeiras consider Eguren a key signing in their bid to return to Brazil`s top flight in 2014 after being relegated last year for only the second time in their history.
The former Villarreal player was a member of Oscar Tabarez`s Uruguay squad during last month`s Confederations Cup in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India