Uruguay oust Peru to reach Copa America final

La Plata (Argentina): Uruguay reached the
Copa America final with a 2-0 win over Peru to book a showdown
with either giantkillers Venezuela or Paraguay.

Liverpool star Luis Suarez scored both goals in the
second half at La Plata yesterday, as the Uruguayans, who put
out hosts Argentina in the quarters, kept on course for what
would be a record 15th win in the world`s oldest international
football tournament.

"It was a very tough game in the first half and we lacked
a little clarity though we kept trying to make chances," said
Suarez, who went level in the scoring stakes with Argentina`s
Sergio Aguero on three goals.

Referring to a more cagey affair against Argentina in the
previous round he told broadcaster TyC Sports: "This was a
game where we had to come out and attack and fortunately
that`s what we did."

After a bright start by Peru, with Luis Advincula looking
lively in midfield, Uruguay increasingly found their feet and
began to boss the encounter.

But the Peruvians held them at bay, without ever looking
as if they would pull another rabbit out of the hat, having
knocked fancied Colombia out at the quarter-final stage.

After the break, veteran forward Diego Forlan began to
turn the screw for Oscar Tabarez`s Uruguayans and it was the
Atletico Madrid man who finally found a way through seven
minutes after the restart.

The former Manchester United misfit fired in a majestic
left-footed shot which keeper Raul Fernandez was only able to
parry and Suarez reacted in a flash to bury the rebound from
point blank range.

Five minutes later the Celeste put the contest to bed,
Suarez beating the offside trap and sidestepping the keeper
before sliding home into the empty net.

With Forlan increasingly bossing the game, the
Uruguayans, whose last title came in 1995, could have extended
their advantage.

But Peru would not lie down and Paolo Guerrero hit a
speculative effort which Fernando Muslera in the Uruguayan
goal did well to clutch at the second attempt.

However, the Peruvians, whose second and last title to
date came in 1975, had given themselves too much to do after
the second goal and their mission was impossible after
Bolivian referee Raul Orosco sent off Juan Vargas midway
through the second period for a foul on Sebastian Coates.

Paraguay meet Venezuela in the other semi-final later in
the day.

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link