Uruguay to tackle violence in football stadiums
Montevideo: Uruguay`s police will submit a list of names of violent fans to the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) for the clubs to ban their entrance to stadiums.
"It is necessary to deprive them of the right to enter," said Sports Minister Liliam Kechichian.
A security committee formed by the Uruguayan Interior and Sports Ministries met Monday with AUF and delegates from the football clubs to discuss about the measures to take against violence in stadiums.
"We will ask the clubs to appoint a person responsible for security and also to evaluate the consequences of not having the necessary conditions" to guarantee security, said Kechichian.
So far, the clubs delegated the security in the stadiums to their own groups of diehard fans called `barras bravas`.
Kechichian affirmed, "if the teams do not appoint a person and there is nobody to talk with, the games could be played without the presence of the clubs` supporters."
The minister said "these `barras bravas` should not exist anymore, we have to eliminate them."
Meanwhile, Jorge Vazquez, Interior vice minister, admitted that it is ‘difficult’ for the clubs to ban the boisterous fans from the stadiums.
Violence among the `barras bravas` have occasionally affected the Uruguayan football, where five people have been killed in the last two decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi