Valdano insists Mourinho has ‘average’ Madrid record
London: The former Santiago Bernabeu sporting director believes that the Portuguese coach is yet to excel with the Blancos, and hailed Pep Guardiola’s ‘romantic’ style of football.
Former Real Madrid sporting director Jorge Valdano has labelled Jose Mourinho’s record at the club as "average".
The Blancos are reigning La Liga champions and made it to the semi-finals of the Champions League for the second successive season, but currently lie 16 points behind Barcelona in this season`s title race and finished second in their European group.
"Since Di Stefano’s era, Real Madrid have won more titles than all the other Spanish teams together,” Valdano told Fox Sports.
“That means the team wins a title every two years. Mourinho is within the average - he has taken two years and has won a title.
“Tactical technicians are gaining importance in football. Mourinho is associated with the word victory. He has won seven league titles in 10 years and the desperation to win remains with him.
“It`s why people like him will always have [a] market. He`s a safe bet.”
The ex-Santiago Bernabeu chief also lavished praised on Pep Guardiola, but admitted that the former Spain international looked out of sorts when he stepped down as Barca coach at the end of last season.
“Guardiola was exhausted, he looked tired,” Valdano added.
“I was sad for football because he is the epitome of greatness that one looks for in this game.
“He has a very specific idea of how to play football, and the idea remains romantic even when you win 13 of 16 possible titles.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city