Valdes move to Monaco off - club
Monaco: Former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes will not be joining Monaco this summer as he continues to work his way back from a serious knee injury, the Ligue 1 club announced Thursday.
Valdes, 32, left Barcelona at the end of last season, having spent his whole career at the Catalan club, and had been in discussions over a move to the Ligue 1 side, who are hoping to challenge Paris Saint-Germain for the title this term.
"I confirm that we`ve been in contact and had negotiations with him and his entourage...but he is injured and won`t sign for Monaco," said Monaco vice-president, Vadim Vasilyev.
Valdes, who has been capped 20 times by Spain, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in March and underwent surgery which ruled him out of the rest of the season as well as the World Cup.
"Today, we are counting on (first-choice goalkeeper) Danijel Subasic who had a very good first season," added Vasilyev, who also said the club would wait until the end of the World Cup before making a decision over the future of Argentine international Sergio Romero.
Romero, who played second fiddle to Subasic but is his country`s first-choice keeper at the finals in Brazil, spent last season at Monaco on loan from Italian side Sampdoria and has said he would like to extend his stay at the Stade Louis II.