Valdes very doubtful for World Cup with knee injury
Barcelona: Spain goalkeeper Victor Valdes is in serious danger of missing this year`s World Cup in Brazil after suffering a knee ligament injury during Barcelona`s victory over Celta Vigo on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old was making a routine block from a free kick when he appeared to twist his knee and was carried off after 23 minutes.
"Tests have confirmed that the player has a torn cruciate knee ligament in his right knee that will require surgery," a club statement said.
Valdes has been in excellent form this season and his injury is a serious blow for Barca as they fight a three-way battle for the La Liga title.
No timescale has been given for his recovery but he is likely to miss the rest of the domestic season and he is very doubtful to make the Spanish squad for their World Cup defence.
Valdes`s contract with Barcelona ends in June and he has said he wants to move to another club for next season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town