Valdes very doubtful for World Cup with knee injury
Barcelona: Spain goalkeeper Victor Valdes is in serious danger of missing this year`s World Cup in Brazil after suffering a knee ligament injury during Barcelona`s victory over Celta Vigo on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old was making a routine block from a free kick when he appeared to twist his knee and was carried off after 23 minutes.
"Tests have confirmed that the player has a torn cruciate knee ligament in his right knee that will require surgery," a club statement said.
Valdes has been in excellent form this season and his injury is a serious blow for Barca as they fight a three-way battle for the La Liga title.
No timescale has been given for his recovery but he is likely to miss the rest of the domestic season and he is very doubtful to make the Spanish squad for their World Cup defence.
Valdes`s contract with Barcelona ends in June and he has said he wants to move to another club for next season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore