Valencia beats Sevilla 2-0
Madrid: Juanma Mata and Pablo Hernandez both scored in the second half as Valencia beat 10-man Sevilla 2-0, while Roberto Soldado scored a hat-trick as Getafe romped to a 4-1 win over Racing Santander to open its campaign.
Mata collected teammate Ever Banega`s controlled pass in the 47th minute and struck the ball through a crowed area and beyond goalkeeper Andres Palop to open the scoring before Hernandez sealed the victory in the 80th with a looping volley yesterday.
Sevilla had lost Frederic Kanoute at the end of the first half when the Mali striker received a second yellow card for a challenge on Carlos Marchena. The scoreline would have been more lopsided but for Palop, who made a number of impressive saves to keep Sevilla in the game.
Striker Alvaro Negredo made his debut for Sevilla following a transfer from Real Madrid last week, coming on in the second half when coach Manolo Jimenez also brought on striker Arouna Kone in a vain bid to bolster his attack.
Elsewhere, Malaga defeated Atletico Madrid 3-0, Athletic Bilbao won 1-0 against Espanyol, Mallorca bested Xerez 2-0, Osasuna drew 1-1 with Villarreal and Almeria and 10-man Valladolid played out a 0-0 draw.
In Santander, Rafael Lopez opened the scoring for Getafe in the 12th minute after heading home Adrian Gonzalez`s corner. Gonzalez set up Soldado`s first, a close-range shot in the penalty area in the 29th and the forward stretched the lead with his second five minutes later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army