Van Persie can bring title back to Manchester United: Van Nistelrooy
London: Ruud van Nistelrooy insists Robin van Persie has the ability to fire Manchester United to the Premier League title.
The retired Dutchman, who scored 150 goals in a five-year spell at Old Trafford, believes his countryman - who has already netted eight times in 13 appearances for the club - can give United the edge in their battle to win back the crown they lost to Manchester City last term.
He told The Daily Mirror: "As Robin is proving right now, he`s making the difference on many occasions. If he can keep going like this through the whole season then I can see United landing another title win.
"I think he`s fitted in really well at United. It`s important for a striker when he goes to a new club to start getting his goals in early.
"That`s what happened to Robin. He has the experience of the Premier League already and he’s proved to be a great signing, the way he plays."
The former PSV Eindhoven and Real Madrid striker was keen to praise Van Persie, who he feels has justified £24 million [€29.8m] price-tag since joining the Red Devils from Arsenal in the summer.
Van Nistelrooy added: "I was close to him playing in the national team and I was convinced of his qualities then.
"It still has to work out, but hopefully he can go on and do even better. It`s great to see, the way he plays.
"Robin fits into United`s playing style. He`s everywhere, involved in all of the play and the finishing as well, so that makes him special."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!