Van Persie demands same wage as Rooney to join Man U
London: Gunners’ striker Robin Van Persie has demanded to be paid the same amount as Manchester United star Wayne Rooney before he agrees to join the Old Trafford club.
Old Trafford is reportedly the Arsenal striker’s favoured destination, but for him to join the club, his team has to agree a transfer fee with last season’s Premier League runners-up. United, along with champions Manchester City and Juventus, have bid for the wantaway star, who has only 12 months of his Emirates contract left to run.
According to the Daily Express, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is demanding 30 million pounds, but none of the offers are anywhere near that.
The Dutch star turns 29 a week from tomorrow and his contract is running out. Van Persie, who has turned down a three-year contract worth 130,000 pound-a-week to extend his stay at Arsenal, plus a five million pound re-signing bonus, believes a move to Premier League rivals United would enhance his chances of winning long-overdue silverware, the report said.
The Dutchman has gained only an FA Cup winners’ medal at Arsenal and he doesn’t believe they are equipped for a concerted Premier League title challenge, but to join Manchester United he is still expecting a huge increase in his wage packet.
The Old Trafford hierarchy have been made aware that Van Persie expects the same financial rewards as the club’s highest-paid player, Rooney, who is on around 220,000 pounds a week, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj