Van Persie elated at first Premier League title triumph
London: Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has revelled in his first Premier League title win after scoring a first-half hat-trick to down Aston Villa 3-0 on Monday night.
The 29-year-old moved to Old Trafford in a £24 million move last summer after growing disillusioned at the lack of progress Arsenal were making in the hunt for silverware, winning just one FA Cup winners` medal in eight years in north London.
And Van Persie netted three times inside the opening 33 minutes against Paul Lambert`s struggling side to seal clinch United`s record-breaking 20th league title - and the striker hailed the efforts of everyone at the club as they become the most successful in English football.
"I had to wait for so long for the first title. It`s a great feeling. [We have] a fantastic team with fantastic players," he told Sky Sports.
"If you look at every single one of the players, it is a championship for every single one of them; the staff, the manager, players. Everyone. It`s our 20th title and it`s deserved."
The hat-trick takes Van Persie above Luis Suarez in the Premier League goalscoring charts with 24 goals in 34 games, and the Dutchman`s second of the game was one of the goals of the season.
Picking up Wayne Rooney`s long, hanging pass from inside his own half, the Dutchman hit a thunderous volley from 25 yards to all but seal the win, but the striker was magnanimous when questioned on the goal - instead preferring to again focus on the collective efforts of the squad.
He continued: "It doesn`t really matter who scored, as long as we win the game. And we did win the game. It was great to score so early, and [it was] a great win on a fantastic day of football.
"[The second goal] was one of the best I`ve ever scored, but it doesn`t matter today. It was an incredible goal but all I had to do was time it right ... and have a little bit of luck."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'