Van Persie is the last piece of the jigsaw like Cantona, claims Sir Alex Ferguson
London: The Manchester United manager believes that the Netherlands striker can act as a springboard to success as the legendary Frenchman did when he joined the club in 1992.
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has compared Robin van Persie to Eric Cantona and says the Dutchman is the last piece of the jigsaw at Old Trafford.
The Netherlands international has bagged 15 goals in 21 appearances in all competitions since joining United from Arsenal at the conclusion of the summer transfer window.
Ferguson has admitted that he does not like to be caught up in "the cult of an individual" but believes Van Persie can act as a catalyst to success just like the legendary Frenchman.
"I reckon here at Manchester United we got our Christmas present early - right at the start of the season in fact, when Robin van Persie arrived at Old Trafford," he wrote in his column for United Review.
"I am reluctant to subscribe to the cult of an individual because I firmly believe that the essence of a successful football team depends on team-work, and neither are we a one-man team, but sometimes there really is a situation where you are lucky enough to find the last piece of the jigsaw.
"We did it when we brought Eric Cantona to Old Trafford where he proved to be the right player at the right club at the right time.
"He became the catalyst and springboard for our surge to success. It doesn`t have to be signing someone for a record fee; Eric was in fact a snip at a million.
"Cristiano Ronaldo was not a record buy either but he certainly made a difference as he prospered with us to the extent that he came to be regarded by a lot of people as the world`s best player."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- 4th round of global NCAP crash tests on Indian cars soon
- Mann Ki Baat: PM pitches for saving 'every drop' of water during Monsoon
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi praises Sonowal for performing his duty despite polls
- Nearly two lakh students appear for JEE (Advanced) exam
- Greek parliament approves controversial new bailout measures