Varsity football coach booked for making casteist remarks
Hisar (Haryana): Kurukshetra University`s football team coach Mahesh Khyalia was on Tuesday booked for allegedly making casteist remarks against a woman player.
Police said Khyalia has been booked under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
The coach made the remarks when the girl was practising on ground, drawing sharp reactions from women and Dalit students.
Though the coach had apologised for his comments, the students went to the city police station and registered a case against him.
Meanwhile, the final match of All India Women Inter-Varsity Football Championship was delayed by five hours owing to the agitation by women and Dalit and students against the remarks. The match was held later in the evening at Guru Jambeshwar University of Science and Technology (GJUST) here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway