Vijayan overwhelmed at sharing stage with Maradona
Kannur: Former Indian football captain I M Vijayan is overwhelmed at sharing the stage with legendary Diego Maradona here and considers it an experience of a life time.
"I will not forget the moment and will cherish it forever. I had seen him earlier, but this time I not only saw him, but he shook hands with me and fondly hugged me," Vijayan said on his brush with the legendary Argentine at a function here on Wednesday.
Vijayan, one of India`s football greats, told PTI that he had seen Maradona earlier at the 2002 FIFA World Cup final in Yokohama, Japan. "But that was not from close," he said.
Maradona, who had led Argentina to World Cup triumph in 1986, and Vijayan exchanged a few passes and headers as the former took the centre stage on his brief appearance before the football-crazy Kerala fans.
"Most of us have grown up watching Maradona`s exploits on television. He was my hero during my playing days and also today," Vijayan said.
Besides Vijayan, former international players including Joe Paul Anchery, Sharaf Ali and K V Dhanesh, were also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself