Vijayan overwhelmed at sharing stage with Maradona
Kannur: Former Indian football captain I M Vijayan is overwhelmed at sharing the stage with legendary Diego Maradona here and considers it an experience of a life time.
"I will not forget the moment and will cherish it forever. I had seen him earlier, but this time I not only saw him, but he shook hands with me and fondly hugged me," Vijayan said on his brush with the legendary Argentine at a function here on Wednesday.
Vijayan, one of India`s football greats, told PTI that he had seen Maradona earlier at the 2002 FIFA World Cup final in Yokohama, Japan. "But that was not from close," he said.
Maradona, who had led Argentina to World Cup triumph in 1986, and Vijayan exchanged a few passes and headers as the former took the centre stage on his brief appearance before the football-crazy Kerala fans.
"Most of us have grown up watching Maradona`s exploits on television. He was my hero during my playing days and also today," Vijayan said.
Besides Vijayan, former international players including Joe Paul Anchery, Sharaf Ali and K V Dhanesh, were also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Union Minister fumes over Air India flight delay, demands explanation from airline
- IND Vs WI: Ajinkya Rahane relishing West Indies challenge as the new Vice Captain
- 'Humiliated' Quami Ekta Dal blames Akhilesh Yadav for cancellation of merger
- Europe presses Britain for quick exit to limit global fallout
- Brain dead driver gives new lease of life to seven people