Vilanova will return to Barcelona hot seat in 15-20 days, says Rosell
London: The president of the Catalan club said that the coach will combine working with his cancer treatment, and he also revealed that he wants Carles Puyol and Xavi to remain at Camp Nou.
Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has revealed that Tito Vilanova will return to his managerial duties in under three weeks’ time.
The coach has been out of action since mid-December, when he required surgery after being diagnosed with parotid gland cancer for the second time.
Rosell hopes that the former assistant to Pep Guardiola will be able to juggle his chemotherapy while coaching Barca, but insists that Vilanova’s recovery is the priority over footballing matters.
The club president told reporters in Dubai: "He will return to work in 15 or 20 days, but he will be going back and forth from the hospital and he will be resting.
“He`s going to combine the treatment with his work. The most important thing is his health. For the moment, football comes second."
Rosell avoided stating that Xavi and Carles Puyol will be given new contracts at Camp Nou, but the chief insisted that he wants the Barca legends to stay with the squad.
"They are among the best players for Barcelona and for Spain, and they are important for society because they are a great example to young people,” he added.
“I hope they will remain at the club in some capacity in the future."
While on the topic of contracts, Rosell also said he believed the fact that two recent signings took pay cuts to join the Blaugrana shows the commitment players have to the Catalan club.
"We have signed two players in Cesc Fabregas and Javier Mascherano who both earn a lower salary than at their previous club,” he said.
“They also paid the commission on their transfer fee. They really wanted to play for us. It`s a beautiful thing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM