Villa out for up to five months with broken leg
Yokohama: Striker David Villa will be out for up to five months after breaking his left leg in Barcelona`s 4-0 Club World Cup semi-final victory over Al Sadd of Qatar.
The news also represents a setback for Spain as they prepare to defend their European Championship title in Poland and Ukraine next year.
"This injury is a tough blow but I am convinced I am going to recover quickly and am thinking about playing the (Champions League) final in Munich (in May)," Villa said on his Facebook page.
"I know my colleagues will get me there -- and to Euro 2012. I`m going to work hard to achieve it."
Earlier in the day, club coach Pep Guardiola said: "David has fractured his leg and will return to Barcelona for an operation as soon as possible.
"We are all very sad for him. He`s a charming personality and it`s a massive blow for the team," added Guardiola after the European champions set up a final against Brazil`s Santos.
Villa, Spain`s all-time top scorer with 50 goals in 81 appearances, fell awkwardly in the first half and immediately signalled to the bench before he was rushed to a local hospital in Yokohama.
"He will be out for a long time," said Guardiola. "I don`t know how long but it takes a long time to return after a break like this.”
"All the players are very worried about David. We hope he will return as soon as possible. Our thoughts are with him and we will have to win the Club World Cup without him."
The Spanish champions later said they estimated Villa would be out for between four and five months.
Villa`s absence will narrow Guardiola`s options as his side pursue titles in the Club World Cup, La Liga, Champions League and King`s Cup.
Spain coach Vicente del Bosque was also concerned about the 30-year-old.
Villa was first-choice forward when Spain won the World Cup in South Africa last year and his national team partners Fernando Torres and Fernando Llorente are now struggling for form.
"It`s very bad news, very unlucky for him," Del Bosque told reporters. "Thinking ahead to the European Championship it is obviously very bad news as well.”
"There are still six months to go. Let`s see how he recovers. Some return quickly, others take a little longer. First we need to listen to what the medics say."
Barca goalkeeper Victor Valdes said: "It`s negative news on what should have been a special and historic day. We will try to dedicate the cup to him in the final."
Spain and Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos said on Twitter: "A serious injury for national team colleague David Villa. Keep your spirits up and stay strong! Return soon champion..!!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in