Villa striker Christian Benteke to miss World Cup in Brazil following leg injury
London: Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke will reportedly miss out the FIFA World Cup this summer in Brazil as he has been ruled out for a minimum of six months with a ruptured Achilles tendon.
Villa boss Paul Lambert said that it is a terrible blow for the club as well as Benteke, but he will work hard as that is what he does adding that the striker will come back for Villa stronger than ever next season.
The Belgium international will have surgery on the injury, which he sustained during training and will miss this summer`s World Cup, the BBC reports.
Despite going four months without finding the back of the net, Benteke has scored 11 goals this season and was reportedly set to be named in the Belgium World Cup squad although his last national appearance came during the September 2013 victory over Scotland.
Benteke`s international captain Vincent Kompany, who plays as defender for Manchester City, offered his support to the striker via Twitter and wrote that he wishes him all the strength the striker needs adding that they are all with Benteke together, the report added
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning