Villas-Boas expects Anelka to quit Chelsea
London: Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has revealed France striker Nicolas Anelka is set to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season.
Anelka`s contract expires at the conclusion of the current campaign and Villas-Boas claims the former Arsenal and Real Madrid star has indicated he is prepared to run down his current deal.
The 32-year-old is believed to be happy to see what options are available to him as a free agent even though he has been a regular member of Chelsea`s attack since Villas-Boas took charge in the close-season.
Asked if Anelka had shown signs of wanting to leave, Villas-Boas replied: "Yes. It might not be the player`s expectancy to renew (his contract).
"We will make our efforts for him to renew but Nico has his own decision to make and I am not sure he will be willing.
"Nico as a person is very, very happy and he still belongs to Chelsea in the last year of his contract."
Didier Drogba`s future at Chelsea is also in doubt as the Ivory Coast striker is yet to agree an extention to his contract, which runs out next year.
Like Anelka, Drogba will have the option of signing a pre-contract with another club in January, but Villas-Boas refused to be drawn on the whether the 33-year-old features in his long-term plans.
"I would not like to share it with you as you would speculate with it for the rest of the season," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie