Villas-Boas urges Spurs to `shine` in Europa League without Bale
London: Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas has challenged his players to prove they are good enough for a top-four finish without Gareth Bale, after Bale was injured during the 2-2 draw against Basel in the Europa League on Thursday.
Calling on new-signers Lewis Holtby, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Clint Dempsey to fill the vacuum left by Bale, Villas-Boas has urged them to show that they are good enough to command a regular first-team place.
According to the Portuguese, the club had managed without Bale before at different moments of the season by other players stepping up and playing a good game, adding that it is now the moment of the other Tottenham players to shine.
Stating that the club`s success depends on the forms of Holtby and Sigurdsson, Villas-Boas said that they are at an excellent level and are valuable additions to the squad, adding that they had time to adapt to Bale`s positions when the player formation was changed.
Bale has played a significant role in helping Tottenham sustain their position in the top four with 11 goals in his past 12 games for the north London club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened