Walcott hat-trick as Arsenal crush Blackpool 6-0
London: Theo Walcott was back to his scintillating best with a hat-trick as Arsenal thrashed 10-man Blackpool 6-0 to bring the promoted side crashing back to Premier League reality on Saturday.
Walcott scored two in the first half before adding a superb third while an Andrei Arshavin penalty and goals by Abou Diaby and Marouane Chamakh piled on the agony for the visitors, who won their opening game 4-0 at Wigan Athletic last week.
Blackpool defender Ian Evatt was sent off after 31 minutes for bringing down Chamakh, leading to Arshavin`s penalty.
Gareth Bale hit two goals, the second a brilliant top-corner volley from a tough angle, as Tottenham Hotspur won 2-1 at Stoke City.
The Londoners were helped by a controversial late decision that denied Stoke an equaliser when the referee ruled a Jon Walters header was not over the line before Peter Crouch cleared the ball.
In other games Bolton Wanderers won 3-1 at West Ham United, Birmingham City beat Blackburn Rovers 2-1 and promoted West Bromwich Albion edged Sunderland 1-0. Everton were held 1-1 at home by Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Chelsea visit Wigan Athletic -- the team they destroyed 8-0 on the final day of last season to secure the title -- later on Saturday.
Manchester United visit Fulham on Sunday while Manchester City host Liverpool on Monday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch