Walcott set for striker role in England clash with Brazil
Theo Walcott is eagerly anticipating the prospect of playing as England`s central striker against Brazil on Sunday.
The Arsenal forward has been lining up as a centre-forward in training, as injuries leave Roy Hodgson with limited options at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro.
Daniel Sturridge was stretchered off the field against the Republic of Ireland on Wednesday, Jermain Defoe has an Achilles problem which could keep him out and Danny Welbeck is facing a late fitness test, leaving Walcott with a chance he is keen to take.
"It will be fantastic," Walcott told reporters. "I said I wanted to play up front.
"People say I have played up front, but I have had limited opportunities this year I have played on the wing and got most of my goals from there.
"Playing for England in any position is a dream. The manager picks the team and whoever plays will go out and do a job and hope to win. I have had a go in training, so we will see.
"I think I am the top English scorer in the Premier League, my confidence is good and that was from playing on the wing. I will play anywhere for club and country and the goal-scoring side of things have got much better."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Malegaon blasts case: Narendra Modi government should sack NIA chief, demands Congress
- Another blow to YS Jaganmohan Reddy, ED attaches assets worth Rs 749.10 crore
- Toyota recalls 3.37 million cars over airbag, emissions control issues
- 7th Central Pay Commission: 14 key facts that all government employees must know
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to campaign outside Amethi and Rae Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections?