Walcott to miss England`s World Cup qualifier against Ukraine
London: Theo Walcott will miss England`s World Cup qualifier against Ukraine Tuesday as the Arsenal winger has been left out of the squad due to illness.
The Football Association confirmed that Walcott had returned to Arsenal with an illness which the FA did not specify, Xinhua reports.
"Theo has picked up some sort of virus," England coach Roy Hodgson said. "He was quite violently ill last night."
Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge also missed training Monday due to a stomach ache. And the medical officers hoped he would be fit by the time of the match Tuesday when England will host Ukraine at the Wembley Stadium.
The two sides met in their final group match during the Euro 2012 this summer where England won 1-0, thanks to the solo goal from Manchester United star striker Wayne Rooney.
England enjoyed a flying start in their campaign to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil with an overwhelming 5-0 opening win against Moldova Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'