War-torn Bosnia surprise entry to World Cup finals
New Delhi: After the latest round of matches Tuesday, war-torn Bosnia stormed into the 2014 World Cup in Brazil from June 12-July 13 along with England, Spain, Russia, Chile and Ecuador.
Bosnia, which is still recovering from the horrific conflict that left over 100,000 dead, sent their countrymen into raptuous joy by qualifying for the ultimate summit of global football.
They marched into the World Cup finals with a carefully eked out 1-0 win over Lithuania for their eighth victory in 10 matches in Group G.
For England, it was a must-win match against Poland and they pulled it off with a meticulously crafted 2-0 victory at London`s Wembley Stadium. England`s qualification pushed Ukraine into the play-offs.
Spain also recorded a similar 2-0 victory over Georgia to make sure they defend the World Cup they won in South Africa four years ago.
Russia needed a draw to book their passage to Brazil and they achieved precisely that with a 1-1 deadlock with Azerbaijan to send Portugal into the play-offs.
Countries qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, the draw for which will be Dec 6:
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31