War-torn Bosnia surprise entry to World Cup finals
New Delhi: After the latest round of matches Tuesday, war-torn Bosnia stormed into the 2014 World Cup in Brazil from June 12-July 13 along with England, Spain, Russia, Chile and Ecuador.
Bosnia, which is still recovering from the horrific conflict that left over 100,000 dead, sent their countrymen into raptuous joy by qualifying for the ultimate summit of global football.
They marched into the World Cup finals with a carefully eked out 1-0 win over Lithuania for their eighth victory in 10 matches in Group G.
For England, it was a must-win match against Poland and they pulled it off with a meticulously crafted 2-0 victory at London`s Wembley Stadium. England`s qualification pushed Ukraine into the play-offs.
Spain also recorded a similar 2-0 victory over Georgia to make sure they defend the World Cup they won in South Africa four years ago.
Russia needed a draw to book their passage to Brazil and they achieved precisely that with a 1-1 deadlock with Azerbaijan to send Portugal into the play-offs.
Countries qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, the draw for which will be Dec 6:
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic