We defended well, says Koevermans
New Delhi: Indian football coach Wim Koevermans was happy that his side managed to create chances in their 0-1 defeat to Cameroon in the Nehru Cup on Friday, and lavished praise on the defenders.
"The way we defended, I am proud of the boys. Missed chances but the good thing is that we created chances. Second half we had some good chances. Overall, we have conceded just two goals, that`s important," Koevermans said.
"Teamwork was great. It was an enjoyable match to watch. The boys tried to play, we slowly came back. With their individual brilliance, Cameroon can make a difference."
Koevermans also spoke about the penalty to Cameroon, just before the break.
"The penalty was a clear tackle inside the box. Fortunately for us, he (Ebanga Bertin) tried to do a panenka that didn`t work."
About Alwyn George who was brought in towards the end, the coach said, "Alwyn was really impressive in the last 10 minutes."
He said his players are capable of dishing out a impressive performance.
"The boys are good enough to deliver a good performance. Manandeep (Singh) played against two strong centre halves. Overall, it was a good performance, but he can do better."
The Dutchman said Nirmal Chhetri, who had injured his shin, "would be ready for the final."
Cameroon coach Emmanuel Bosso said he wanted to test his reserves.
"Both the teams are already in the final, we wanted to test our bench. I told them to play. They wanted to show that they are also able to play, and needed the confidence of the coach."
About the title clash, he said, "Final is another match, another matter. India were a bit weak today but they played very well. You cannot recognise this Indian team. They are preparing for something better. It was a bit of preparation and the morale will be high on Sunday. "
Bosso informed that their inspiration former player, Roger Milla will not be able to attend the final as he has lost his elder brother in France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM