We haven`t found a striker we like: Del Bosque
Madrid: Spain boss Vicente del Bosque admits that he does not have a striker who he can truly rely on at his disposal.
The world champions used midfielder Cesc Fabregas as a `False No.9` and despite taking David Villa, Fernando Torres and Roberto Soldado to Brazil, the 62-year-old says he might continue with the system.
“We’ll be playing with a striker, that’s quite clear – even if it’s a false No.9 or an out-and-out striker. As a rule, every team should play with a No.9 but we haven’t found one we all like,” he told Diario de la Roja.
"Maybe that’s our fault. A few have been given run-outs, Negredo, Torres, Soldado, even Villa hasn`t really bowled us over either.
"A striker can spend practically the whole game without having to touch the ball, then he scores a goal and everyone says: ‘Well, anyone could have scored that’, but he has spent the whole match without a sniff of the ball.
“We need players up front who participate, ones who are visible and actively taking part during the game”.
Del Bosque went on to say that he wants Bayern Munich midfielder Javi Martinez to showcase his best form for his country.
“I`ve said it many times and I won’t mince my words – I think he is capable of giving a lot more, he needs to participate more during Bayern’s games and exert more control in his own game. He performed well in the Champions League final and that’s something.
“He’s also first choice in the team. Whenever we haven’t called him, it’s been because we haven’t liked how he has been playing but there’s never been a problem about that because he’s a good lad.”
The former Real Madrid boss also reserved praise for Edinson Cavani and Luis Suarez of Uruguay, whom they face in Brazil.
“They have two top-level strikers in Cavani and Suarez – two players who are on the agendas of a lot of big clubs," he added.
"Apart from that, they are a very well-organised side who know what they are doing from defence to attack. They are hard-working and tough, they’re not the kind of team to lose their nerve."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez