We must respect Mourinho`s decision, says Casillas
Madrid: Real Madrid skipper Iker Casillas has refused to criticise coach Jose Mourinho after he benched the keeper for Saturday night`s 3-2 defeat at Malaga.
The decision to drop Casillas was described by the Portuguese coach as being a "technical" one, but the move backfired terribly as Malaga shocked Madrid to take all three points at La Rosaleda.
"I`m not used to this, but before Casillas comes the team and this is not another speech," he told Spanish TV station La Sexta.
"The coach decides who plays. I have to keep training more with this healthy competition with Adan.”
"Mourinho didn`t say anything to me, he didn`t explain anything. He doesn`t give me explanations for when I do play, so then, neither when I don`t.”
"My team-mates have all given me their support, just like we`ve all given our support to Antonio (Adan). Our results have not been so favourable, but the fact the two of us received the support of the dressing room is testament to the fact we all get along."
The news did not come as a shock to the 31-year-old though, as he had suspected during the week that such a decision would be made.
He added: "During the week, I had a feeling I wasn`t going to play but it`s no setback. What was important was that the team won in Malaga to cut the points difference between Barca and Atlético."
Casillas believes there is good competition between the keepers at Madrid and knows he needs to work harder to regain his place.
"I feel good and there is a healthy competition between Adan and me," he continued.
"We must abide by the decision of the coach and I must train a lot more to try to regain his confidence."
However, the former Madrid sporting director Jorge Valdano believes Mourinho was trying to make a statement.
He told Cadena SER: "This was a show of power; he was wielding his authority on a club legend."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part V
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut
- Two Palestinians shot dead after checkpoint attack bid: Israel
- This novel genetic method could lead to vaccine for life-threatening cancer!
- Heatwave continues to sweep several parts of country; Odisha records highest maximum temperature of 46.3 degrees Celsius