We must respect Mourinho`s decision, says Casillas
Madrid: Real Madrid skipper Iker Casillas has refused to criticise coach Jose Mourinho after he benched the keeper for Saturday night`s 3-2 defeat at Malaga.
The decision to drop Casillas was described by the Portuguese coach as being a "technical" one, but the move backfired terribly as Malaga shocked Madrid to take all three points at La Rosaleda.
"I`m not used to this, but before Casillas comes the team and this is not another speech," he told Spanish TV station La Sexta.
"The coach decides who plays. I have to keep training more with this healthy competition with Adan.”
"Mourinho didn`t say anything to me, he didn`t explain anything. He doesn`t give me explanations for when I do play, so then, neither when I don`t.”
"My team-mates have all given me their support, just like we`ve all given our support to Antonio (Adan). Our results have not been so favourable, but the fact the two of us received the support of the dressing room is testament to the fact we all get along."
The news did not come as a shock to the 31-year-old though, as he had suspected during the week that such a decision would be made.
He added: "During the week, I had a feeling I wasn`t going to play but it`s no setback. What was important was that the team won in Malaga to cut the points difference between Barca and Atlético."
Casillas believes there is good competition between the keepers at Madrid and knows he needs to work harder to regain his place.
"I feel good and there is a healthy competition between Adan and me," he continued.
"We must abide by the decision of the coach and I must train a lot more to try to regain his confidence."
However, the former Madrid sporting director Jorge Valdano believes Mourinho was trying to make a statement.
He told Cadena SER: "This was a show of power; he was wielding his authority on a club legend."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened