Wednesday-Charlton FA Cup tie postponed
London: The FA Cup fifth-round encounter between second-tier sides Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic was called off on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch at Wednesday`s Hillsborough home.
"The FA Cup fifth-round tie between Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch," Wednesday said in a statement.
"Match referee Mark Clattenburg conducted a pitch inspection at 10.30am (1030 GMT) on Saturday morning and deemed the surface unplayable."
The cancellation of the match, following violent storms across Britain overnight, left only three FA Cup ties on the agenda for Saturday.
Manchester City host Chelsea in the day`s stand-out fixture, while Sunderland tackle Southampton in another all-Premier League tie and holders Wigan Athletic visit Cardiff City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- 'Reprogrammed' bacteria eat carbon dioxide to produce sugars
- Government eliminates 1.6 crore bogus ration cards, to save Rs 10,000 crore
- Mahindra makes history with maiden win in Moto3 class
- Yemen clashes intensify as Ban Ki-moon pushes peace
- France beat Ireland 2-1 to reach Euro 2016 quarter-finals