Wednesday-Charlton FA Cup tie postponed
London: The FA Cup fifth-round encounter between second-tier sides Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic was called off on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch at Wednesday`s Hillsborough home.
"The FA Cup fifth-round tie between Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch," Wednesday said in a statement.
"Match referee Mark Clattenburg conducted a pitch inspection at 10.30am (1030 GMT) on Saturday morning and deemed the surface unplayable."
The cancellation of the match, following violent storms across Britain overnight, left only three FA Cup ties on the agenda for Saturday.
Manchester City host Chelsea in the day`s stand-out fixture, while Sunderland tackle Southampton in another all-Premier League tie and holders Wigan Athletic visit Cardiff City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested