Wednesday-Charlton FA Cup tie postponed
London: The FA Cup fifth-round encounter between second-tier sides Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic was called off on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch at Wednesday`s Hillsborough home.
"The FA Cup fifth-round tie between Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch," Wednesday said in a statement.
"Match referee Mark Clattenburg conducted a pitch inspection at 10.30am (1030 GMT) on Saturday morning and deemed the surface unplayable."
The cancellation of the match, following violent storms across Britain overnight, left only three FA Cup ties on the agenda for Saturday.
Manchester City host Chelsea in the day`s stand-out fixture, while Sunderland tackle Southampton in another all-Premier League tie and holders Wigan Athletic visit Cardiff City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed