Wednesday-Charlton FA Cup tie postponed
London: The FA Cup fifth-round encounter between second-tier sides Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic was called off on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch at Wednesday`s Hillsborough home.
"The FA Cup fifth-round tie between Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch," Wednesday said in a statement.
"Match referee Mark Clattenburg conducted a pitch inspection at 10.30am (1030 GMT) on Saturday morning and deemed the surface unplayable."
The cancellation of the match, following violent storms across Britain overnight, left only three FA Cup ties on the agenda for Saturday.
Manchester City host Chelsea in the day`s stand-out fixture, while Sunderland tackle Southampton in another all-Premier League tie and holders Wigan Athletic visit Cardiff City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state