Wednesday-Charlton FA Cup tie postponed
London: The FA Cup fifth-round encounter between second-tier sides Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic was called off on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch at Wednesday`s Hillsborough home.
"The FA Cup fifth-round tie between Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch," Wednesday said in a statement.
"Match referee Mark Clattenburg conducted a pitch inspection at 10.30am (1030 GMT) on Saturday morning and deemed the surface unplayable."
The cancellation of the match, following violent storms across Britain overnight, left only three FA Cup ties on the agenda for Saturday.
Manchester City host Chelsea in the day`s stand-out fixture, while Sunderland tackle Southampton in another all-Premier League tie and holders Wigan Athletic visit Cardiff City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'