Weidenfeller proud of Dortmund endeavour
London: While understandably disappointed, the goalkeeper was joined by team-mate Mats Hummels in lauding his team`s spirit right to the final whistle.
Borussia Dortmund keeper Roman Weidenfeller expressed his pride at having pushed domestic rivals Bayern Munich all the way in the Champions League final on Saturday.
The 32-year-old`s heroics between the posts were crucial in keeping his side afloat throughout the encounter, only to be undone by Mario Mandzukic`s opportunistic tap-in and Arjen Robben`s 89th minute winner.
And the keeper hailed his team`s fighting spirit for matching the eventual champions blow-for-blow for the majority of the match.
"We’re proud to have given Bayern a real game tonight," Weidenfeller noted to pitchside reporters after the game. "We played well but it wasn`t meant to be.
Team-mate Mats Hummels weighed in with his own acknowledgement of BVB`s effort, only lamenting the cruel turn of events in the proceedings leading up to full-time.
"We feel pride but also disappointment when you lose a match in the 90th minute," the former Bayern stopper reflected to ZDF.
"But we were a little tired at the end and Bayern took advantage of that. We didn`t have enough possession and it told in the end.
"It’s hard to lose like that."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre