Wells delighted with play-off victory
London: Bermudian striker Nahki Wells says he is delighted with his role in helping Bradford City win promotion to League One after his football club swept aside Northampton Town 3-0 in the League Two play-off final at Wembley Stadium.
Wells, 22, made history by becoming the first Bermudian to score Saturday at Wembley, home of English football.
Wells netted his team`s third goal in front of a crowd of 47,127 fans. All three goals came inside the first half an hour, James Hanson and Rory McArdle getting the first two for the Bantams.
The victory helped Bradford crown a memorable season by securing their first promotion since reaching the top flight 14 years ago, three months after their historic Wembley appearance in the final of the League Cup, even though that game ended in a 0-5 humiliation against Premier League Swansea City.
The Bantams had earlier claimed the scalps of Wigan, Aston Villa and Arsenal during an amazing giant-killing run.
‘It`s a great achievement to score at Wembley,’ Wells said.
‘This was an important moment for my country and club, so obviously I`m very delighted. Our first aim was to win to make sure we got promoted and anything additional to that was a plus.
‘The scoring all happened so quickly so it`s hard to remember what`s happened. When I put it into the net it was a big relief because I knew the third was always going to be the killer blow, and to get it was a proud moment’.
Wells` 28th-minute strike was his 26th goal of the season, and fourth against the Cobblers this season following his hat-trick against them last season.
‘I think it just happens that every player has one of those teams where they score most of their goals against,’ he said.
‘You just have to try and go into games as confident as possible and I make sure I do that because if you`re not a confident player you`re not likely to do well and score goals.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan
- Sultry morning in city
- European leaders to discuss EU future after Brexit shock
- Robert Vadra calls Subramanian Swamy `attention seeking`, `deplorable and classist` over 'waiter' remark
- WhatsApp users now make over 100 million calls everyday!