Wenger delighted with Gervinho`s impact up front
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has expressed his delight at Gervinho’s recent form following the attacker`s impressive start to the campaign.
With Wenger employing him in a more central role, Gervinho has netted five goals from five shots on target this term for the Gunners, and is likely to continue in his new position against West Ham this weekend.
The Frenchman is pleased with the Ivory Coast international’s impact, but admits he maybe wasn`t an obvious choice to play as the team`s focal point before the season begun.
"The thinking this season was to use his quality of movement and his pace," Wenger told Sky Sports.
"Of course you have to overcome a little bit of an obstacle that he doesn`t correspond well to the traditional image you have of a central striker.
"Gervinho has other qualities that are well suited to our game, our game is based on movement and technical ability and him and Theo Walcott both have that."
Gervinho`s purple patch has come as a surprise to many around the Emirates Stadium following a debut season which saw him score just four Premier League goals.
"He is not massive, is not a guy who will go for high balls, but he can only try and I must say, he has improved his finishing and it is working very well at the moment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!