Wenger fumes over penalty award in Chelsea defeat
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has expressed his unhappiness with the decision to award Chelsea a penalty in the Gunners` 2-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge.
Referee Martin Atkinson pointed to the spot after Wojciech Szczesny challenged Ramires in the area, but replays showed that the Blues midfielder may have deliberately stuck out his leg in order to trip over the goalkeeper.
Frank Lampard’s converted spot kick ultimately proved decisive after Theo Walcott halved the deficit in the second half.
"I don`t think it was a clear penalty; I think it was no penalty," he told Sky Sports. "[The referee] could have given Ramires a yellow card.
"I didn`t see it well from the bench but I`ve been told by people have seen it on television that it is no penalty.
"If it`s no penalty, it is no penalty, it`s either a dive or the player has had to go down not to make contact – I don`t know – all I`ve heard is that it doesn`t look like a penalty on television."
Despite his anger at the penalty decision, the Gunners boss admitted his side did not perform well enough in the first half despite being pleased with the way they fought to get back into the game after the break.
"For two consecutive games now we have started not on the front foot," he added. "We come into the game 2-0 down, and [when this keeps happening] it`s very worrying.
"Afterwards the team has given a lot but we started on the back foot again today. We were a bit unlucky as well because we did make the first chance.
"We had a great response in the second half. You can see we have quality and spirit but we have to show that for 90 minutes."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali