Wenger fumes over penalty award in Chelsea defeat
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has expressed his unhappiness with the decision to award Chelsea a penalty in the Gunners` 2-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge.
Referee Martin Atkinson pointed to the spot after Wojciech Szczesny challenged Ramires in the area, but replays showed that the Blues midfielder may have deliberately stuck out his leg in order to trip over the goalkeeper.
Frank Lampard’s converted spot kick ultimately proved decisive after Theo Walcott halved the deficit in the second half.
"I don`t think it was a clear penalty; I think it was no penalty," he told Sky Sports. "[The referee] could have given Ramires a yellow card.
"I didn`t see it well from the bench but I`ve been told by people have seen it on television that it is no penalty.
"If it`s no penalty, it is no penalty, it`s either a dive or the player has had to go down not to make contact – I don`t know – all I`ve heard is that it doesn`t look like a penalty on television."
Despite his anger at the penalty decision, the Gunners boss admitted his side did not perform well enough in the first half despite being pleased with the way they fought to get back into the game after the break.
"For two consecutive games now we have started not on the front foot," he added. "We come into the game 2-0 down, and [when this keeps happening] it`s very worrying.
"Afterwards the team has given a lot but we started on the back foot again today. We were a bit unlucky as well because we did make the first chance.
"We had a great response in the second half. You can see we have quality and spirit but we have to show that for 90 minutes."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA