Wenger hails Ramsey `transformation`
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is thrilled with Aaron Ramsey`s "transformation" over the last 12 months.
Once an oft-criticised figure by Gunners supporters, the Welshman has been in imperious form in 2013-14 and his boss admits that he was considering dropping the midfielder to spare him the crowd’s frustrations.
"Let`s not forget that, one year ago, people were saying to me: `It`s difficult to play him at the Emirates [Stadium],`" Wenger told the press. "You could see there was an impatience with him at home.
"You always are, as a manager, in a period where you think: `Do I push him through and he can go more down or do you give him a breather - to regenerate, to get him a fresh start?`
"You have to give Aaron credit for that transformation - the credit goes to him because he could deal with that. He has shown he could come back, never give up, convince everybody that he has the needed quality."
Ramsey`s progress was set back for a long time by a broken leg suffered in a challenge with Ryan Shawcross in February 2010 but Wenger feels that he has recovered and is now on his way to fulfilling his vast potential.
Asked if the midfielder is a world-class player, the Frenchman replied: "He can become [so]. I think always you know what you want, I do not judge people when I look back at their career [on whether] they were world-class or not world-class.
"I always think: `Has this guy done the maximum with the potential he had?` and the respect I have for a guy is how far he has gone towards his potential.
"Of course, when you play at Arsenal you need already to be a world-class player, because you go through so many selections - you need to have some special talent. What is for me most important is: `Has a player gone as far as he could?`
"He`s 22 years old. I`m 64 and I still think I can improve, so why should a guy who is 22, who can play until he is 35, think he is the top of his game? It`s impossible. If he has the right attitude, he will continue to improve."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi