Wenger rules out Arsenal move for Suarez
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has conceded defeat in his pursuit of Liverpool striker Luis Suarez after declaring there is "no chance" the Uruguayan will move to the Emirates Stadium.
Arsenal have had two bids for Suarez rejected during the current transfer window and, speaking after his side won 3-0 at Fenerbahce in the first leg of their Champions League play-off, Wenger said they would not be making another offer.
"(There is) absolutely no chance of that," Wenger said, in remarks widely reported in the British media on Thursday.
A number of British media outlets, including the BBC, claim that Arsenal have expressed an interest in signing Real Madrid pair Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria.
The London club have also had a bid for Newcastle United`s France international midfielder Yohan Cabaye rejected.
Wenger would not be drawn on the identity of his transfer targets, but he confirmed that the club are working to bring in new players.
"We tried to bring one in, but we are working on that. You have to understand there is still a long way to go," he said.
"The transfer market starts for me now and a lot of activity will happen between now and September 2.
"From August 21 until September 2 you have 12 days, so a lot will happen. It starts now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!