Wenger rules out Henry loan return to Arsenal
London: Arsene Wenger has ruled out the possibility of bringing Thierry Henry back for a third spell at Arsenal.
Henry, now with New York Red Bulls, returned to the Gunners on loan in January during the MLS off-season, scoring two goals in seven appearances.
The 35-year-old`s decision to train with his former club had led to talk of another possible loan stint in the New Year, but Wenger believes his squad already possesses sufficient attacking options.
"Those who scored today are [Theo] Walcott and [Olivier] Giroud, that proves we already have two good strikers at the club," the Gunners` boss told Canal+ following his side`s 7-3 victory over Newcastle on Saturday.
"We will not take the risk of bringing him back for a third time.
"I think that it [the loan move for Henry] will not be done. Because he`s just got back from vacation. He will need three to four weeks to get in shape. He had a long season too."
Henry established himself as an Arsenal legend during eight hugely successful years in north London between 1999 and 2007, and remains the club`s all-time top scorer with 228 goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar