Wenger sets his sights on German targets for future Arsenal signings
London: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger wants to add to his collection of Germans by raiding the Bundesliga for another midfielder, and has told his scouts to keep tabs on long-term targets Ilkay Gundogan of Borussia Dortmund and Lars Bender of Bayer Leverkusen.
According to the Mirror, the Gunners are looking to strengthen their midfield, with a more defensive-minded player still on the wish list.
Arsenal bought Germany playmaker Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid for 42 million pounds on Monday.
The 24-year-old will link up with his countrymen Lukas Podolski, Per Mertesacker, Serge Gnabry, Gedion Zelalem and Thomas Eisfeld among the German contingent at the Emirates, the report said.
Although the Gunners will also keep tabs on Schalke`s Julian Draxler and Gundogan`s Dortmund team-mate Marco Reus, they are no longer priorities now the Ozil deal has been done, the report added.
Arsenal are also interested in Barcelona right-back Martin Montoya, 22, who is set to be a free agent next summer, and there is still cash to spend for a top striker, the report further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Panama probe independent of Bachchan's presence at Modi bash: Union Law Minister
- PM Modi congratulates new Kerala CM
- Jharkhand Maoists torch 35 vehicles in 150 days; contractors panic
- Loyalty declaration on stamp paper a symbol of slavery: BJP
- Militants kill cop, snatch weapon from another in Kashmir