Wenger tells Arsenal fans playing in CL more important than winning FA Cup
London: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hit back at critics, who have often attacked him for their failure to win trophies in last many years, saying finishing in top four to play in the Champions League is nothing less than any major trophy, even more important that England’s oldest knockout competition, the FA Cup.
Following shocking performances in defeats to Norwich and Schalke in the past week Wenger faced the wrath of fans at the club`s annual general meeting on Thursday.
“We want first to win the Premier League, that is what we are here for and that is what we want to fight for - believe me will give absolutely every drop of energy to achieve that and will do that again this year,” the Daily Mirror quoted Wenger, as saying.
“It is still important that we keep our strength and stay united for the good of Arsenal, sometimes you can forget that,” he added.
“For me, there are five trophies – the first is to win the Premier League, the second is to win the Champions League, the third is to qualify for the Champions League, the fourth is to win the FA Cup and the fifth is to win the League Cup,” he said.
Wenger added: “I say that because if you want to attract the best players, they do not ask ‘Did you win the League Cup?’, they ask you ‘Do you play in the Champions League?’”
Wenger could not resist a dig at the unrest, saying: “If everybody is absolutely devastated when we finish third in the league, I promise you I will not be here if you finish 15th one day.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery