West Brom blast Chelsea over Isaiah Brown bid
London: West Brom have confirmed they have turned down a compensation offer from Chelsea for academy product Isaiah Brown.
The 16-year-old midfielder has been tracked by several Premier League clubs since making his first-team debut against Wigan last season, and is now on the verge of a move to Stamford Bridge.
The Baggies are due at least £209,000 compensation under Elite Player Performance Plan rules but the club’s sporting and technical director Richard Garlick insist they deserve more.
"We are disappointed by Chelsea’s offer," he told the club’s official website.
"We have invested a lot of time and money in Isaiah’s development as a player. As one of our most exciting academy products in recent years, we had hoped to bring him through into our first team.
"But Chelsea have forced our hands and we are more than prepared for the matter to be decided by a tribunal if needs be.
"More importantly, it makes you question why these young players are joining bigger clubs when they are likely to gain more first-team opportunities in the Barclays Premier League at clubs similar to us."
Brown has won three England Under-17s caps and two for the Under-16s, scoring his first goal in a 4-3 friendly defeat to Germany in February.
Two months later he became the second youngest-ever Premier League player when he came on as a late substitute against Wigan, aged 16 years and 117 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical