West Brom sign Irish star Shane Long
London: Republic of Ireland international striker Shane Long became Premier League side West Brom`s sixth signing of the summer when he joined from Championship outfit Reading.
The 24-year-old - scorer of six goals in 21 international appearances - signed a three year contract bringing to an end a successful six year spell at Reading which included a two year stay in the Premier League.
West Brom manager Roy Hodgson said that despite his relative youth Long had enough experience already to go straight into the first team.
"He is a goalscorer and a hard-working player who has a very good attitude to the game," said Hodgson, who enjoyed an up and down season last term being sacked by Liverpool after a miserable short spell there before being hired by West Brom and saving them from relegation.
"The great thing about him is that even though he is still only 24 he has six years` worth of experience of Premier League, Championship and international football and has margin for improvement in his game.
"With the signing of Shane, our squad is looking close to being complete."
Long, who scored 54 goals in 200 appearances for Reading after joining from Cork City in 2005 with a season high 25 last term, could well wrap up Hodgson`s spending.
He joins England goalkeeper Ben Foster, Hungarian Zoltan Gera - who played under Hodgson at Fulham - Billy Jones, Gareth McAuley and Marton Fulop as the new faces.
West Brom start their campaign at home to champions Manchester United on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day