West Brom sign Irish star Shane Long
London: Republic of Ireland international striker Shane Long became Premier League side West Brom`s sixth signing of the summer when he joined from Championship outfit Reading.
The 24-year-old - scorer of six goals in 21 international appearances - signed a three year contract bringing to an end a successful six year spell at Reading which included a two year stay in the Premier League.
West Brom manager Roy Hodgson said that despite his relative youth Long had enough experience already to go straight into the first team.
"He is a goalscorer and a hard-working player who has a very good attitude to the game," said Hodgson, who enjoyed an up and down season last term being sacked by Liverpool after a miserable short spell there before being hired by West Brom and saving them from relegation.
"The great thing about him is that even though he is still only 24 he has six years` worth of experience of Premier League, Championship and international football and has margin for improvement in his game.
"With the signing of Shane, our squad is looking close to being complete."
Long, who scored 54 goals in 200 appearances for Reading after joining from Cork City in 2005 with a season high 25 last term, could well wrap up Hodgson`s spending.
He joins England goalkeeper Ben Foster, Hungarian Zoltan Gera - who played under Hodgson at Fulham - Billy Jones, Gareth McAuley and Marton Fulop as the new faces.
West Brom start their campaign at home to champions Manchester United on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180