West Ham fail with latest bid to overturn Carroll ban

AFP| Updated: Feb 07, 2014, 23:45 PM IST

London: West Ham failed with a legal challenge to the Football Association`s decision to uphold Andy Carroll`s three-match suspension on Friday.

The Premier League club were unhappy that England striker Carroll was sent off against Swansea last week after an altercation with defender Chico Flores and their anger increased when the English FA refused to overturn the decision on appeal

Hammers owners David Gold and David Sullivan took the case to an independent arbitration tribunal, but they were unsuccessful again on Friday.

The tribunal rejected West Ham`s case and Carroll`s ban takes immediate effect, starting at Aston Villa on Saturday and continuing in fixtures against Norwich and Southampton.

An FA statement said: "An independent arbitration tribunal convened under FA Rule K has dismissed a legal challenge brought by West Ham United and Andy Carroll in relation to the red card received by Carroll in the match between West Ham United FC and Swansea on 1 February 2014.

"The independent tribunal resolved that there was no serious issue to be tried and also awarded The FA its costs."

Carroll was dismissed by referee Howard Webb after catching Flores with a flailing arm, prompting the defender to fall theatrically to the turf, following an aerial challenge between the pair during West Ham`s 2-0 win at Upton Park last weekend.

The Hammers, who desperately needed Carroll available to aid their fight to climb out of the Premier League relegation zone, had claimed the FA-appointed panel "did not apply the correct test" under its rules when making the original decision to snub their appeal.

The move to reconsider the upholding of the initial suspension with a further hearing was the last stage a dispute can reach under FA rules.

It is thought to be the first time in Premier League history that a rejected red-card appeal has then been referred to an independent arbitrator.