West Ham manager Grant fined and banned for two matches
London: West Ham United manager Avram Grant was handed a two-match touchline ban and fined 6,000 pounds for improper conduct by the FA`s Regulatory Commission.
The 56-year-old Israeli was punished for remarks he made in a post-match interview about referee Mike Jones following West Ham`s 2-1 defeat to Stoke City in the FA Cup quarter-final at the Britannia Stadium on March 13.
The ban, which takes place with immediate effect, means he will have to watch Saturday`s match at Bolton Wanderers and the home game against Aston Villa at Upton Park on April 16 from the stands.
Grant was angry about the way Jones handled the second half of the match, especially awarding Stoke a penalty just 13 seconds after the break which Matthew Etherington missed.
West Ham have confirmed they are investigating claims that the families of their strikers Victor Obinna and Frederic Piquionne were racially abused by fans at Upton Park on Saturday.
The two came on as substitutes during West Ham`s 4-2 defeat to Manchester United and the club said in a statement anyone found guilty of racial abuse "would be dealt with accordingly."
The statement on their website read: "The club takes such matters seriously and, with the police, is reviewing CCTV footage and gathering witness information. Anyone found responsible will be dealt with appropriately.
"This is an isolated incident and our supporters, like the club, are proud of our positive relationship with Kick It Out (the anti-racism campaign)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi