West Ham swoop for Ecuador`s Valencia
English Premier League side West Ham United agreed a deal on Thursday to sign Ecuador international forward Enner Valencia from Pachuca of Mexico subject to the successful granting of a work permit.
West Ham announced on their official website that they had agreed an undisclosed fee with Pachuca and that Valencia, 25, will sign a five-year contract at Upton Park.
Reports in England suggest the transfer fee will come close to the club record sum of £15million (EUR18.9million) paid for striker Andy Carroll last summer.
Formerly of Ecuadorean side Emelec, Valencia only joined Pachuca in January this year but his excellent performances at the World Cup generated widespread interest from clubs in Europe.
Valencia scored all three of Ecuador`s goals in Brazil, including a brace in a 2-1 victory against Honduras, but he could not prevent the South American nation from being eliminated in the group stage.
He is West Ham`s fifth summer signing following the captures of Argentine forward Mauro Zarate, Senegal defender Cheikhou Kouyate, left-back Aaron Cresswell and youngster Diego Poyet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan
- North Korea leader says missile test `greatest success`