West Ham swoop for Ecuador`s Valencia
English Premier League side West Ham United agreed a deal on Thursday to sign Ecuador international forward Enner Valencia from Pachuca of Mexico subject to the successful granting of a work permit.
West Ham announced on their official website that they had agreed an undisclosed fee with Pachuca and that Valencia, 25, will sign a five-year contract at Upton Park.
Reports in England suggest the transfer fee will come close to the club record sum of £15million (EUR18.9million) paid for striker Andy Carroll last summer.
Formerly of Ecuadorean side Emelec, Valencia only joined Pachuca in January this year but his excellent performances at the World Cup generated widespread interest from clubs in Europe.
Valencia scored all three of Ecuador`s goals in Brazil, including a brace in a 2-1 victory against Honduras, but he could not prevent the South American nation from being eliminated in the group stage.
He is West Ham`s fifth summer signing following the captures of Argentine forward Mauro Zarate, Senegal defender Cheikhou Kouyate, left-back Aaron Cresswell and youngster Diego Poyet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today