Westwood praises I-League debutants after triumph
Margao: Bengaluru FC coach Ashley Westwood was all praise for his band of debutants who created history by winning the I-League title in their maiden season here on Monday.
Bengaluru FC, who has been consistent throughout the tournament, clinched the title with one match remaining. "The boys worked really hard, with the victory near they kept on working hard and finally we were rewarded," Westwood said.
Needing a win to win the title ahead of other established teams, Bengaluru led from start to finish and emerged 4-2 winners. They scored through Sean Rooney (2nd), Robin Singh (56th), John Menyongar (79th) and captain Sunil Chhetri (90+7).
Dempo reduced the margin through Roberto Silva (82nd) and substitute Romeo Fernandes (89th). "We looked pretty comfortable at 3-0 lead but a stupid free kick from Beto found the back of the net and than they reduced the margin and put the pressure before Sunil Chhetri`s stoppage time goal gave us a comfortable 4-2 win in the end."
The win helped the Southern club accumulate 44 points and take an unassailable lead with one round still to be played. The likes of East Bengal and Salgaocar Football Club will play for the second and third spot.
"Fans came all the way from Bangalore to support the team and if not for their support things would have not happened. It was a fantastic effort and everybody including my wife also supported me and I am happy in the end to win the title," stated Westwood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives
- Spectacular view of the Bahamas from space – See pic!
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Oommen Chandy to meet family, promises help
- Indian Premier League 2016: Gautam Gambhir fined for kicking chair; Virat Kohli for slow over rate