Westwood praises I-League debutants after triumph
Margao: Bengaluru FC coach Ashley Westwood was all praise for his band of debutants who created history by winning the I-League title in their maiden season here on Monday.
Bengaluru FC, who has been consistent throughout the tournament, clinched the title with one match remaining. "The boys worked really hard, with the victory near they kept on working hard and finally we were rewarded," Westwood said.
Needing a win to win the title ahead of other established teams, Bengaluru led from start to finish and emerged 4-2 winners. They scored through Sean Rooney (2nd), Robin Singh (56th), John Menyongar (79th) and captain Sunil Chhetri (90+7).
Dempo reduced the margin through Roberto Silva (82nd) and substitute Romeo Fernandes (89th). "We looked pretty comfortable at 3-0 lead but a stupid free kick from Beto found the back of the net and than they reduced the margin and put the pressure before Sunil Chhetri`s stoppage time goal gave us a comfortable 4-2 win in the end."
The win helped the Southern club accumulate 44 points and take an unassailable lead with one round still to be played. The likes of East Bengal and Salgaocar Football Club will play for the second and third spot.
"Fans came all the way from Bangalore to support the team and if not for their support things would have not happened. It was a fantastic effort and everybody including my wife also supported me and I am happy in the end to win the title," stated Westwood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next